Monday, April 07, 2008

The Dishwasher . . .

. . . no, not Mrs. B. The mechanical one under the kitchen counter.

I found out that it was leaking between the pump housing and the tub. The first attempt was to remove the gasket, put some clear silicone on the surfaces, reassemble and reinstall. Strike one. It leaked on the first load.

Second attempt. A week ago, I ordered a new gasket and several related small parts from Sears Direct. The parts arrived on Friday. I installed the new parts on Saturday, and we ran the first load today. Success! No leak. No water on the floor. I was patting myself on the back until Mrs. B pointed out that none of the soap dissolved. Diagnosis - the washer didn't leak because, and only because I didn't turn the water back on. Turn water on. Observe. Strike two. A bigger leak. Apparently when I replaced the gasket between the pump housing and the tub, I messed up the seal between the motor shaft and the pump housing.

Back to Sears Parts Direct for the requisite parts for third attempt. The parts won't be here for a week or so.

This machine shall not win. . .