Monday, January 21, 2008


The Beach Boys
. . . back in the day.

Lisa's friend Melissa reminded me of this.

The Beach Boys were huge back when I was in college, around MCMLXI to MCMLXVIII. I even saw them in concert at the university. But, in the late 60's, I pretty much lost interest in them.

In MCMLXIX, Lisa's youngest brother was born. My mother flew to Omaha to take her and her other brother (no, not her other brother Darryl) back to our home town for a visit while the new baby settled in.

When they were boarding the airplane, my mom was struggling a bit trying to manage two small children, and a carry-on bag or two. My mom asked a young man in front of her if he would mind holding Lisa's hand while she went up the steps. His reply: "Sorry, it would be bad for my image."

You guessed it. The jerk was one of the Beach Boys. He's on the stairwell with the bushy hair and beard. Lisa and my mom are on the ground at the far right of the crowd .

Good vibrations, my ass . . .

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Holy sheesh...

Alan said...

That's weird. How is helping a mom and her little girl bad for his image?

Jack said...

Lisa,

You didn't know about that little episode? Mom was ready to tear out his throat.

Alan,

That was their psychedelic period. Maybe it was the mushrooms.

Melissa said...

I didn't know you had a blog, I would have visited sooner had I known. It's great.

He was a jerk, whichever one he was. The still touring ones and new Beach Boys I saw recently couldn't have been any nicer. Hopefully they changed.

Punctuation said...

To be honest, in the 60s and 70s, letting one of The Beach Boys look after a child is criminally negligent! It looks like Brian Wilson on the steps - he probably thinks Lisa is one of the Little Elf people from the planet Venus and therefore doesn't want to be seen as collaborating with the alien invasion force. Besides, it would only draw attention to the fact he is actually from the planet Mongo himself. :-)

Lisa said...

So you're saying grandma tried to leave me with a psychedelic nuthead? I always thought she liked me so much more than the others. :)

I know. It was just seemingly temporary.

gemmak said...

Ohhh...I didn't know you blogged too :o)...you know who kept that a secret! ;o)

Jack said...

Gem,

As you can see, I don't blog much. I have been reading yours for some time though. Any friend of Lisa's . . . plus the chance of a hand-delivered sandwich.

gemmak said...

Lol...I'll hand deliver you a sandwich someday :o)

Unknown said...

Maybe he was just having a bad hair day. Tosser.

FeltByRae said...

What a knobless knobber - hope he improved a bit over time, git