Friday, March 14, 2008

Mississippi roots . . .

. . . of my family. Although I was raised in the Land of Lincoln, I also have Southern roots - kind of. In 1773, my 5th great-grandfather moved, with the rest of his Swayze clan, from the New York/New Jersey area to Western Florida - now called Mississippi. The Swayzes settled on a land grant called the Ogden Mandamus, on the Homochitto river just east of modern-day Natchez, in a town they named Kingston.

I learned of my connections to the Swayze family by accident, while looking for information on my great-great-grandmother. I posted an inquiry on a genealogy forum, and a single response from a distant cousin filled in a couple hundred years of my family history. Every year since 1940, the descendants of the Swayzes and other related familes, known as The Descendants of the Jersey Settlers have held a reunion in Natchez, MS.

We haven't been able to attend since 2002 for various reasons, but we're going back in April. Both Mrs. Bulldog and I are very excited about the trip. I have loved Natchez for a long time - even before I knew about the family history. About 50 years ago, my parents, my brother and I visited Natchez on the way to see my dad's sister in Baton Rouge. Forty years later, Mrs. Bulldog and I were on our way to New Orleans, and I drove - without a map - to the very same restuarant my folks took us to back in 1957. Spooky.

We're staying at the historic Eola hotel in downtown Natchez.

Oh . . . and yes, it's THOSE Swayzes. Patrick Swayze is my 7th cousin, once removed. Really.





No comments: