Sunday, June 29, 2008

My Mother . . .

. . . the painter. Later in life, my Mother decided to create a painting for each of her five grandchildren - starting with the oldest first. Each grandchild chose the subject. She was only able to complete two paintings and a partial third before she died in 1989.

This is the one created for Lisa. I think it's an example of Mother's best work.

This landscape with hawk was created for the older of Lisa's two brothers. It's unframed, and has been packed away for more than 10 years. I retrieved it today when I saw the first painting on Lisa's blog. The hazy look is due to my photography - not her painting.

2 comments:

Brennig said...

I'm not the world's biggest fan of still life (spent too long analysing Kersting et al for my art history course), but I like the flowers very much.

Chris said...

OMG! I used to have Dr. J's painting in my first apartment. I thought I had somehow lost it. I must have left it at home when I lept out on my own the 2nd time. :) I am the proud owner of the third painting. Bulldog and Mrs B (a.k.a. my parental units) had offered to have it "finished" as it had the clipping of the picture I chose for Grandma to paint in a flap in the back. I declined. It hangs unfinished over my bed where it has been since 1989. I sleep better knowing she is looking over me.