Sunday, August 10, 2008

Lisa, the gearhead . . .

. . . drove my hotrod today.

I was not locked in the boot, as someone suggested.

This is not an easy car to drive. It has manual steering, manual brakes, and a fairly obscene amount of horsepower. Somewhere north of 430, I believe.

She did more than fairly well at it, except for shifting the transmission. Although it is an automatic, it does have seven different detents: Park, Neutral, Reverse, and four forward speeds. It also has a separate grip lever to prevent inappropriate shifts - like second to reverse. The grip lever has to be operated in a certain sequence which she did not have time to learn.

She negotiated through the neighborhood and down a rather winding rural road. I never felt the slightest concern.

There was a brief flashback, though, when she asked about a turn. I said "turn right here," and suddenly remembered the first time I said that. On that occasion, Right here happened to be between a lamp post and a mail box and into someone's front yard.

The "Mystery Shifter"



4 comments:

gemmak said...

Wow...I would love to have a turn behind the wheel of that....and I am used to manual steering and brakes, my own car has them along with manual gears....though somehow I imagine your rod is way more fun to drive! ;o)

Way to go Lisa :o) Did anyone take a picture of you?

Anonymous said...

You mean, "which she didn't TAKE time to learn.." hehe

"I'm driving; you shift" was about the extent of it.

It was fun, because you couldn't see the hood of the car whilst driving. I kept saying, "am I in the correct part of the lane?", but at least WAY before there was oncoming traffic. :)

I had that same flashback, and giggled. Could you see a fancy, yellow car in someone's front lawn?

Anonymous said...

Oh THAT'S what the gear shift looks like. I remember the old red Routemaster London-style buses having a gear lever like that.

You're very brave (or foolhardy) to have let crash-test-Lisa drive your pride and joy. :-)

I wish my dad had something cool like that - he can't even drive!

Melissa said...

Lisa must trust you completely to do literally whatever you say without question, even if it is to turn onto someone's lawn. :)