Friday, October 10, 2008

Dooce's Hypothetical question . . .

. . . reminded me of something that happened two summers ago.

As I was leaving a grocery store, I was approached by a young lady I'd guess to be about 35. She looked to be tired, and more than a little distressed. She told me she was embarassed to ask, but had spent her last money on food for her kids, but hadn't checked her gas gauge and was afraid she couldn't make it back home. She pointed to a beat-up old car. I could see a baby seat and some toys, but no kids were in the car.

Now, I don't give handouts to everyone who asks for them, but this lady's story just seemed believable. I gave her a ten, and she thanked me several times, and there was a tear in the corner of her eye.

After she left, another lady who had been watching decided to butt in:

Her: Boy, she really took you in.
Me: Pardon?
Her: How stupid can you be? She's just going to buy drugs with that.
Me: Maybe, but at least she isn't a nosy BITCH who can't mind her own business.

As I pulled out of the parking lot, I saw the woman I gave the money to pulling up to a gas pump across the street. . .

5 comments:

Lisa said...

That's a nice story. Well except for the 'bitch' part. But she had it coming...

Jack said...

Lisa,

Yin and Yang. Harmony requires both.

Anonymous said...

If every single person in the world does one good deed in a day, just because they can, no matter how small; gives someone the benefit of the doubt - then that's several billion good things that the world gets the benefit of.

Ok, there's a lot of horrible people out there that will take advantage but by the law of averages many many people in real need will get a helping hand too.

Lesson number 1: Not everyone who dresses like a hobo is an alcoholic or takes drugs. Real people hit hard times too.

Well done Bulldog.

gemmak said...

Good for you! :o)

Chris said...

Okay, so Im a necro-poster. But, for everyone who has read or will read this story, it is yet another example of why MY Dad is cooler than YOURS! Really! How many people do you know who is that caring and generous,and also has the ability to break cinder blocks......with their head? Ian had it right. There needs to be more people in the world like my Dad.