Friday, October 03, 2008

I don't usually get this coarse . . .

. . . but, TOUGH SHIT!

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York Gov. David Paterson on Friday pledged not to raise taxes, even as he predicted an increase in the state's budget deficit to $2 billion amid fallout from the credit crisis and recalled the legislature for a special session next month to address the economy.

Paterson, a Democrat, said he feared Wall Street, which accounts for one out of every five tax dollars in the state, could slash bonuses by 60 percent and capital gains tax collections could plunge by about 50 percent.

Paterson said Wall Street bonuses generate 30 percent of the state's taxes in the January to March quarter.

Considering what's been going on in the financial markets, doesn't this fall in the category of poetic justice?

And, since poetry was mentioned . . .

Poetry . . . shows what should or must occur, rather than merely what does occur.
- Aristotle

That also seems relevant to the topic does it not?

Ian?

3 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

What do these people expect? Hey, Republicans are not perfect, nobody is, but at least when we mess up we admit it. So Peterson, et al, wise up. You make your bed, you lie in it. Tough Shit is right.

Gosh.

In other news, I managed to get a couple of the Mp3s for my musical "I Need A Man" on my post today.

Brennig said...

I'm with you on the toughness and the shitness. That is all.

Anonymous said...

Heh, I'm not sure I agree with Aristotle (although I'm sure he was a much smarter man than me).

I think poetry is a complicated thing; it's many things to many people. Lots of poets write little ditties in protopubescent adolescence and never go any further. Others write the odd rhyme or two and never go further than that and elect not to show them to others for fear of ridicule or in a belief that they're no good.

..and then there's all sorts of others from fiddlers like me to the towering giants of prosaic art like e. e. cummings, Dylan Thomas, Philip Larkin or Thomas Hardy.

I kind of agree with Aristotle in the suggestion that poetry does not merely describe things that occur but to "describe what should or must occur"? Hmm, I think not.

To quote a few: "This be the verse" by Philip Larkin, "The Lady of Shallot" by Tennyson and, hilariously, T. S. Eliot's "Macavity the mystery cat" - none fall into this category and yet "Do not go gentle into this good night" by Dylan Thomas, a towering masterpiece by a genius, does.

At best one can say: poetry exists because it is art and the definition of art is that it does not have to have a purpose other than to exist.

I write poetry because I like to and, weirdly, some people seem to like sections of what I write which helps immensely when you have an ego the size of mine. It fulfils a need in me that I did not know I had - until I fed it. I have no doubt much of what I write is seen as awful but I have also had several people genuinely moved by poems I hoped would move someone and made an audience laugh at lines I hoped would raise a giggle.

As Yeats said: "While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey, I hear it in the deep heart's core".