Monday, September 13, 2010

Hallelujah . . .

Brennig mentioned Georgia Garrett, a 16-year-old vocalist from Essex (and competitor on the forthcoming series of Britain’s Got Talent), so I went looking for some of her music on YouTube. She does have a terrific voice for her age. I particularly liked her rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.

After listening to Garret's version, I looked around for more, and found this amazing cover by K. D. Lang. Lang started as a country singer, but has amazing versatility and a golden set of pipes.

Listen, if you have a moment.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leonard Cohen, despite me on occasion describing his albums as "music to commit suicide to", is without doubt to my mind a lyrical genius.

His poetry and songs are truly god-given and whenever I read anything he's written I just feel in awe at the mastery with which he puts words together and the complex, twisting, right-angled imagery he uses. Some people have a gift - he's one of them.

This version of Hallelujah is a brilliant demonstration of what happens when you put together two artists who have been touched by the hand of something magical... K D Lang pulls out a performance here which brings me to tears (this song, when done well has always sent shivers down my spine, I'm not sure why). I have no idea what Leonard Cohen thinks of it but, surely THIS is how it sounds best?

Really really...just perfect.

Jack said...

Every now and then, genius intersects with genius. What results from that coincidence is often beyond description. This was one of those intersections.

Josh Groban had an excellent version, but I could not find it online.

Brennig said...

The best version of H is Cohen's original studio recording.

Until I change my mind.

Again.

Brennig said...

Sorry, that was a bit glib of me. Buckley's version isn't too bad, but the way it was used in an episode of The West Wing was absolutely hammeringly, shockingly awesome.

George Garrett's really sweet, but the distinguishing thing about her is she's as thin as a bamboo cane. Where that voice comes from? No-one knows.

Jack said...

I have seen Cohen's original, and it has a lot of style. Very understated, and not an Olympic event.