Sunday, March 20, 2011

Views like this . . .

. . . make me glad that winter is over.

And make me forget what an absolute disaster the city has made of trash collection.

This seems to happen every couple of years because Campania has run out of landfill space, the single incinerator does not function very well, and neighboring cities will not allow landfills nearby.

Because of the difficulties, Napolitani have taken to dumping their trash just about anywhere that seems handy. Prime dumping spots seem to be the emergency pull-offs along the autostrade.

Or the street corner.

Or the roadside ditches.

Or parking lots.

Or sidewalks.

Or . . . .

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Looks icky. I bet it doesn't smell nice, either.

Lisa said...

That is a gorgeous view (when the garbage isn't in the way). I was lucky enough to visit Naples several years ago before the garbage crisis got out of hand -- it was a very interesting city... I felt like I was taking my life into my own hands every time I tried to cross a street. :) But I would visit again just to have some of their amazing pizza and gelato!

Jack said...

Napoli is called "Una bella ragazza con i piedi sporchi" - A pretty girl with dirty feet. It's very true. We have churches that are medieval works of art and architecture inside and that are covered with graffiti on the outside. Old-world streets with garbage in the gutters. I'm continually amazed by the lack of civic pride among a large percentage of the citizens.