Saturday, December 20, 2008

In a past life . . .

. . . I was a pipeline engineer.


I did the design work, price estimating, contract bidding, material procurement and construction management.


The first two pictures are of a 24" pipeline replacement project on the southside of Kansas City, MO. The pictures look pretty wide open, but half of the project was through peoples' back yards.





The next two pictures are of a 24" high-pressure pipeline replacement that was directional drilled under the Missouri River on the north side of Kansas City, MO. The original pipeline was on a bridge, which was to be demolished. The state didn't want to have the pipe hanging from the new bridge, so we went under - through limestone, shale, sand, gravel and mud.


This was my last project with the gas company. Our new COO decided we needed a "profit improvement plan." We all know what that means, don't we?


Both projects were immensely successful, but that didn't stop my "participation" in the "profit improvement plan."

Good work seldom goes unpunished, eh?

Oh well. The company had less than stellar retirement and benefits, and without the "profit improvement plan," I probably would still be there instead of having a great job with the U.S. Navy.





The only problem with projects like this is that there is no evidence of their completion. No "footprints" to show that I passed that way.


Pipeliners are similar to the Mafia. All our successful projects are buried.

2 comments:

gemmak said...

Lol...I like the diversionary tactics! :o)

I would like to add here that as a European, I would love to learn to use a handgun, I can't imagine I would ever have need of the skill but still I would like to have a go....just so long as it didn't involve foxes, horses, hounds or English gentlemen, who for the record don't often have much in reality to qualify them for the title 'gentelmen' in my experience! ;o)

Jack said...

Most people never need the skill - even those whose job it is to carry one daily.

To me, it's just another one of those "skill" thingies like golf or playing the piano. It's fun to do, and the challenge is developing the skill to do well at it.