Friday, December 31, 2010

My English connections . . .

. . . redux

Most of my family tree has its roots in England, Ireland or Scotland - notwithstanding the Lowdermilk (Lautermilch) branch of my grandmother.

I suppose there is a horsethief or madam or grifter somewhere in the line, but I have found none. However, one of the more interesting finds is Sir Leonard Halliday, Lord mayor of London from October 29, 1605 to October 1606.

Leonard was knighted on July 26, 1603 by King James I, and later became one of the 124 merchants who formed the East India Company.

For those of you with a little knowledge of English history, you will remember, remember the 5th of November 1603. Just seven days after Leonard's investiture as Lord Mayor, Guy Fawkes was found guarding 36 barrels of gunpowder under the house of lords. Sir Leonard went on to great success as a merchant. Guy Fawkes and his cohorts did not fare as well.

Portrait by unknown Flemish artist - Ca. 1575.

Leonard's coat of arms is blazoned: Sable, three helmets Argent garnished Or, within a bordure engrailed of the second.

Translation: On a black shield, three silver helmets trimmed in gold,within scalloped silver border.

2 comments:

Brennig said...

I have no English connections. Well. Except for my wife.

Brennig said...

Oh. And my ex-girlf and, therefore, my 1/2 English daughter.