Wednesday, October 26, 2011

On the 99 Percenters:

The 53% Guy presented a rather tough message to the "Take Wall Street" crowd, and a "Confessed Liberal" answered him on "The Daily Kos."  While Confessed is an accomlished debater, and presents some interesting arguments, the end game of his philosophy troubles me.

(In sotto voce:  While I would rather remove my appendix with a dull spoon than provide a link to the Daily Kos, I had no alternative in this case.)

In his argument, Confessed says this:
I want everybody to have healthcare.  I want lazy people to have healthcare.  I want stupid people to have healthcare.  I want drug addicts to have healthcare.  I want bums who refuse to work even when given the opportunity to have healthcare.  I’m willing to pay for that with my taxes, because I want to live in a society where it doesn’t matter how much of a loser you are, if you need medical care you can get it.
On the surface, I agree with a part of this argument.  However, I disagree in the strongest terms to the slippery slope leading to the endgame - pure Marxism.

Perhaps “Confessed” would prefer this: Every employer transfers all employee salary to the Federal government. The ENTIRE payroll. 100%. Then we trust the government to dole it out according to who “deserves” it. Drug addicts, criminals, the “lazy bums” he describes. Everyone.

That sounds extreme, but it is simply a logical extension of the model he embraces. The test of “Confessed's"  philosophy is whether  or not he would agree to that model – especially with his salary.

How about it, "Confessed?"  Are you willing to ante up in toto?  Are you willing to go all in? 

I doubt it.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Exactly!!! And holy shit does it really take 36 paragraphs to make a point? I stopped reading that guy's blog post about 4 paragraphs in.